Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Living Dangerously: Beautiful Potholders

Lolly over at This Domestic Life has made what is surely the most gorgeous potholder ever.

I admire her courage.  My own potholders are so terribly stained, torn, and burnt, I'm ashamed to post a photo of them.   However, admitting the existence of a problem is the first step towards recovery, so here goes:

My name is Mrs. Micawber, and I have hideous potholders.

I feel about pretty potholders as I do about white pants:  too risky, and sure to be dripped upon.  An ounce of avoidance is worth a pound of laundry detergent.  I'd like to think my battle-scarred potholders are a sign of culinary dedication;  I'm afraid what they really reveal is a lack of due care and a certain disregard of kitchen æsthetics.

But Lolly's brave pursuit of beauty has convicted me of cowardice.  I am therefore setting myself this 2-step challenge:

Step 1:  Make a beautiful potholder.

Step 2:  Use it.

I will report my progress, if any, in this blog.

2 comments:

  1. You can do it. Make some easy and plain ones first to get used to the idea.

    Remember these things are replaceable. When they wear out, you can make more and probably even better ones by then.

    Some people, though, hang the prettier ones on the wall as kitchen art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement, Lolly. I have no more room for kitchen art, which is a good thing--it will force me to use what I make!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....