Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Simple Pleasures: Tea

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me," said C.S. Lewis.

Tea. A simple pleasure? More like an addiction for me - but an addiction that is easily satisified and has the advantage of being a legal substance, chock-full of antioxidants.

I am particularly rich in tea right now:

"Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world."  T'ien Yiheng

The Bewley's came from Ireland, gift of a favourite nephew and niece who were there last month.  It's brawny and bold and makes me a bit jittery.  The "365" is my everyday tea, which I buy several boxes at a time from Whole Foods - smooth and soothing.  That beautiful little flowered container on the right is my carefully hoarded, drink-about-once-a-week Jasmine Oolong tea from Teavana (birthday gift from same dear niece) which I believe costs about $80 a pound (or some equally improbable price).  It is, without a doubt, the best tea I have ever tasted in my life.  The leaves bloom like a flower in the cup and the aroma is indescribable.

Time for a cuppa. Happy sipping!

3 comments:

  1. I like tea but I have been less than satisfied with my selection lately. I'll have to check these out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this with my morning cup of of the Earl. My household standards so far (subject to change on a whim) is Twinnings loose Earl Grey and Trader Joe's Irish breakfast for the menfolk.

    Jasmine Ooooolong. That's fun to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought TJ's Irish Breakfast for years, but a slight tendency to IBS nudged me towards something a little less assertive for my 3-cup-a-day habit. Twinings are always good. I particularly like their English Breakfast and Darjeeling.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....