Thursday, October 3, 2013

Misty Morning

A misty morning wreathes the trees, and dampness hides in the grass. Soon the sun will drive it away, but for now the world lies hushed and still under a thin grey veil.

The basil bed is fresh and cool, its leaves new-bathed with invisible Autumn. I pick a sprig for my morning eggs, and wonder how long this pleasure will last - how long the frost will tarry, and spare to us the herbs of summer.


In the warm indoors, Autumn condenses into visible moisture on the green, green leaves.

The sun breaks through the mist and floods the room with gold.

The eggs and basil are delicious.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


11 comments:

  1. I love how you paint a picture with words!

    Wishing you a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmm...basil is one of my favorites!

    I just planted my basil. All winter I'll have fresh. :-) Yeah for Florida and mild winters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to dig up my dahlias last night. :( Then this morning I remembered I need to bring in the pots of peppers, eggplant and rosemary. But now they'll all be toasty warm inside when it starts snowing sometime tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I love my basil, too. We had late frost in Pa this past spring and I had to replant it :( But we still didn't have any autumn frosts yet. It can happen any night, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds beautiful. Also tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely :) I had some of our basil on my salad at lunch, and I looked out the kitchen window to check how much we have left...and I wondered when our first frost would come. Thanks for posting, Sue.
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My basil did not do so well not sure why.. mist over here as well has been like this for a few days now. At the moment it is pouring with rain. Nice to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a talent for painting wonderful pictures with words alone Sue........I love Autumn.
    Enjoy your weekend........x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You paint such a beautiful word picture! Also the reminder that the season is drawing to a close and winter waits in the wings!! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your poetic post and photo!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....